- Capital – Panaji
- Districts – 2
- Population – 1,458,545
- Assembly seats – 40
- Lok Sabha seats – 2
- Rajya Sabha seats – 1
- Literacy rate – 88.7%
- Sex ratio – 973
Pratapsingh Rane was the first Chief Minister of the state which was created on 30 May 1987. The current incumbent Manohar Parrikar belongs to the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). He was sworn in as the state’s 10th Chief Minister on 14 March 2017. The current Governor of the state is Mridula Sinha.
Goa was carved out from the Union Territory, Goa, Daman and Diu. Daman and Diu continues to be a Union Territory.
The Portugese ruled the state for over 400 years before they were driven out by the Indian armed forces. The state was also ruled by the Kadambas earlier.
- Goa is one of the smallest Indian states with an area of only 3,702 sq km.
- Marmagao Port in Goa is among the India’s best natural harbours.
- The first printing press of Asia came up in Goa, at St. Paul’s College.
- The city hosts the International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
- ‘Basilica of Bom Jesus’ and ‘Churches and remains of Old Goa’ have been declared as World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Basilica of Bom Jesus preserves the remains of St. Francis Xavier.
- The state’s official language, Konkani, can be written in 5 different scripts.
- Goa’s floating casinos are very popular with tourists.
- The state houses the Naval Aviation Museum.
- The major dance forms of the state are Bandhap, Ghode Mondi, Dhalo and Mando.
- Important festivals celebrated in the state are the Carnival, Shigmotsav, Beach Bonanza and the Konkani Drama Fest.
- Football is a popular game.
Goa has some famous beaches which attract tourists from around the world. These include Arambol, Ashvem, Morjhim,Vagator, Anjuna, Baga, Calangute, Candolim and Cavelossim.
Goa is also a home to the some of the oldest rocks in India. The rocks are over 3,600 million years old and termed as Trondjemeitic Gneiss. Like Odisha, Goa also has nesting sites for Olive Ridley Turtles.
Other tourist destinations include Mangeshi Temple, Dudhsagar Waterfalls, Tiracol Fort, Dr. Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary, Khandepur Caves and Aravelam Waterfalls.