Madhya Pradesh, “the Heart of India”, is spread over an area of 3,08,346 sq. km. It shares its borders with Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat. The major rivers of the state are Chambal, Narmada, Tapi, Indravati and Godavari.
- Capital – Bhopal
- Districts – 51
- Population – 7,25,96,565
- Assembly seats – 230
- Lok Sabha seats – 29
- Rajya Sabha seats -11
- Literacy rate – 70.6%
- Sex ratio – 931
- Life expectancy – 64.2 years.
- Infant mortality rate – 54
Ravishankar Shukla was the first chief minister of the state which was created on 1 November 1956. The current incumbent, Shivraj Singh Chauhan of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), was sworn in as the state’s 18th Chief Minister on 13 December 2013. The Governor of the state is Om Prakash Kohli.
Madhya Pradesh, the central part of India, was ruled by Ashoka, the Gupta Dynasty and then by the Muslim invaders. Mahmud of Ghazni and Mohammad Ghori were the prominent Muslim rulers of the state.
A peculiar thing about the state is that it has been ruled by three outstanding women – Queen Ahilyabai Holkar of Indore, the Gond Maharani Kamalapti and Queen Durgawait.
Chhattisgarh was carved of Madhya Pradesh as a new state on 1 November 2000.
- Relo Folk Song is famously sung in the state which belongs to the Muria Tribe.
- Leha Song is the famous song sung at the times of departing.
- Major folk dances of the state are Phag, Gaur and Lota.
- Bandhani Cloth is famous among costumes and dresses of Madhya Pradesh.
The state is famous for its scenic beauty. Three sites in the states have been declared as World Heritage Sites by the UNESCO. These are the Khujaraho Group of Monuments, Buddhist Monuments at Stupas and Rock Shelters of Bhimbhetka.
The state is also rich in temples, caves, forts, ancient rocks and monuments. It is a green state and has 9 National parks, 6 Tiger Reserves and 25 Wildlife Sanctuaries.
Trade And Industry
- Important minerals- Coal, Iron and Manganese, Diamond (Panna) and marble mines.
- Major handicraft Industries- leather industry, clay toys and Chanderi Clothing