The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT), India’s premier container port, has been listed amongst the top 30 container ports globally. JNPT moved up five spots, to be 28th on the latest Lloyds Report, compared to its previous ranking. An official statement on Tuesday said that this is a validation of all the efforts and strategic initiatives being implemented at JNPT in order to enhance overall port efficiency. Various new processes activated under the ‘ease of doing business’ initiative have not only helped in overall growth of the port business, but also allowed the EXIM trade to save time and cost which in turn have accentuated the growth story.
Here Are 10 Facts About The Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust
- JNPT at Navi Mumbai (formerly known as the Nhava Sheva Port) is India’s No. 1 container port handling 55% of the container cargo across all major ports in India.
- Commissioned on 26 May 1989, JNPT is the second youngest port of the country which was initially planned to be a ‘satellite port’ to the Mumbai Port with a purpose to decongest traffic.
- JNPT possesses a total land area of 2,987 hectares which was built with an investment of Rs.1, 109 crores.Out of the total investment, Rs.956.97 crores were obtained as loans from various funding agencies, with the World Bank being one of the major contributors.
- JNPT is a fully mechanised port that uses the latest technology in handling cargo at the terminals as well as characterised by highly automated and round-the-clock operations.
- It is the only major port in India to have achieved all the four ISO certifications.
- The JNPT has launched its mobile app for the Exim trade by the hands of Chairman Shri Sanjay Sethi. This app will provide information on Container tracking, Weather and Tidal conditions and New developments at JNPort.
- JNPT is on a major expansion drive, with some key projects like, on-going project work on the mega 4th Terminal, developing a centralized Parking Plaza, improving the port connecting roads and widening of Highways and development of Coastal Berth.
- It is the first major port to start the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana at JNPT Hospital. This initiative will provide quality medicines to common masses at an affordable cost.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust was awarded as the 3rd cleanest and greenest Port amongst the all major Ports in India under the Swacch Bharat initiative by the Ministry of Shipping.
- In December, 17,063 trucks completed 22,519 transactions using the Inter-terminal movement of tractor-trailer facility (ITT) fuel worth of Rs 10 crore and total trade cost, Rs 203 crore saved till date.