The Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led cabinet has cleared plans for grand celebrations to commemorate the 550th Guru Nanak Jayanti, the birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev, which falls next year. The birth of the first Guru, Guru Nanak, who laid the foundation of Sikhism, is celebrated as Gurpurab or Guru Nanak Jayanti. On this day, people pay tribute to the holy Guru, remember his teachings and overcome the five vices – lust, greed, attachment, anger and pride, devoting their life in the selfless service of God.
10 Points About The Cabinet Decision To Celebrate 550th Guru Nanak Jayanti
- The Union Cabinet has approved the building and development of the Kartarpur corridor from Dera Baba Nanak in Gurdaspur district to the international border. This will facilitate pilgrims from India to visit Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur on the banks of the Ravi River in Pakistan, throughout the year. Guru Nanak Dev spent 18 years at this place.
- The Kartarpur corridor will be an integrated development project with the Centre providing funding for smooth implementation. The Pakistani government will be urged to develop a corridor in their territory as well.
- It was also decided in the meeting that the historic town of Sultanpur Lodhi in Punjab, associated with Guru Nanak’s life, shall be developed as a heritage town. In order to highlight Guru Nanak’s emphasis on sustainability and reverence for nature, the heritage town will be built on energy efficiency and Smart City Mission principles.
- A heritage complex, “Pind Babe Nanak da”, will be established at Sultanpur Lodhi to depict Guru Nanak Dev’s life. The Sultanpur Lodhi railway station will also be modified, upgraded and developed.
- A centre for inter-faith studies will be set up at Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar. Chairs on Guru Nanak Dev will be set up in one university each in the United Kingdom (UK) and Canada. An international seminar on the life and teachings of Guru Nanak Dev will be organised in New Delhi.
- States and union territories will also celebrate the 550th Birth Anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev in a befitting manner. Indian missions overseas will organize special events on the occasion.
- Commemorative coin and postage stamps will be released by the Government of India to mark this momentous occasion, according to the PIB statement.
- Doordarshan will telecast programmes on Guru Nanak Dev and the Gurubani. The National Book Trust will publish Gurbani in different Indian languages and UNESCO will be requested to publish Guru Nanak Dev’s writings in world languages.
- The Ministry of Railways will run a special train passing through the holy places which are associated with Guru Nanak Dev for pilgrims and tourists.
- This year, Guru Nanak Jayanti will be celebrated on 23 November, Friday. It would be the 549th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev.