The Hyderabad Nizam Museum theft was the kind of stuff that Hollywood and Bollywood heists are made of. And the thieves may well have got away with it had it not been for some fine back-to-the-basics investigation by the city police.
Two thieves allegedly stole a diamond-studded gold tiffin carrier; a golden cup and saucer; and golden spoon on 2 September. One of them reportedly even ate out of this tiffin, something that the Nizam who had received it as a gift (along with many other priceless items now displayed at the museum) would probably never have thought of!
Weighing 1.95 kg, the three-tier gold tiffin is studded with precious diamonds and rubies.
The thieves entered the Hyderabad Nizam Museum through a vent that they had identified during their recces; they left with the antiques on a motorcycle. They later hid the loot in a pit, save for a golden spoon that the two carried to Mumbai as a sample to try and sell their ware.
The two, Mohd Ghouse Pasha and Mohd Mubeen, failed in their attempts to find a buyer, and returned to Hyderabad. By this time, the city police had used conventional investigation to piece together how the theft had taken place. They had also questioned enough people to have zeroed in on the identity of the thieves, both of who had past criminal records.
The two were arrested on Tuesday, and the antiques stolen from the Hyderabad Nizam Museum were recovered from the pit they had been buried in, said Police Commissioner Anjani Kumar said at a media briefing.
The museum was opened in February 2000 by a trust headed by Prince Muffakham Jah, the younger grandson of the last Nizam. It has a fascinating collection of gifts received by Mir Osman Ali Khan, the last Nizam who went by the title of Bayafandi Asaf Jah VII, on his silver jubilee celebrations in 1937.
Nirav Modi-Mehul Choksi Update
Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice (RCN) against the sister of celebrity diamantaire Nirav Modi. A Blegian national, the 44-year-old Purvi Modi has been accused of money laundering by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) that is investigating the Rs 13,500 crore Punjab National Bank fraud case.
Modi’s uncle Mehul Choksi, who is a co-accused, has, meanwhile, claimed that the ED’s allegations are baseless. The agency had attached his properties illegally, he said in a video interview to the news agency ANI, the Hindustan Times reported.
Election Commission Notice To AAP
The Election Commission of India (ECI) has issued a show-cause notice to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) to explain discrepancies in figures for the donations that it received in financial year 2014-15.
According to the notice issued on Tuesday, a copy of which has been put up on the commission’s website, AAP has been asked to explain:
- Concealment of donations (based on different figures available from the bank and the party’s audited accounts)
- Entries from hawala dealers
- Incorrect disclosures on the party’s website and to the EC (under provisions of the Representation of People’s Act)
Pointing out that the party had not adhered to its transparency guidelines, the EC notice has given AAP 20 days to explain why action should not be taken against it under the provisions of the Election Symbol (Reservation and Allotment) Order, 1968.
Over 50 Die In Telengana Bus Accident
More than 50 pilgrims are feared dead in a bus accident while returning from a temple in Kondagattu, Telengana.
The bus, being run by the Telengana State Road Transport Corporation, plunged into a gorge shortly before noon. A report in The Times of India said that the bus driver lost control while negotiating a speed-breaker and this led to the bus falling into the gorge near Sanivarampet. The bus was going to the district headquarters, Jagtial.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed his condolences.
The bus accident in Telangana’s Jagtial district is shocking beyond words. Anguished by the loss of lives. My thoughts and solidarity with the bereaved families. I pray that the injured recover quickly.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 11, 2018
Man Held In Saudi Arabia For ‘Offensive Breakfast Video’
An Egyptian man has been arrested in Saudi Arabia after what authorities described was an ‘offensive’ video showing him being fed breakfast by a woman.
According to The Guardian, the footage – which was filmed by the man and showed the pair sharing a meal at a desk and joking together – sparked outrage on social media in the ultra-conservative kingdom.
The point that has prompted the most anger is at the end of the 30-second video when the woman appears to feed the man, the report said.
Saudi Arabia has strict segregation between men and women. In workplaces and many restaurants, women and men who are not close relations must sit separately from one another.