Upcoming left-arm fast bowler Arjun Tendulkar has been selected for the India Under-19 team that will play in Sri Lanka in July. Son of cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar, he is part of the squad for two four-day matches against the island nation. Arjun Tendulkar is, however, not part of the team for the five One Day International (ODI) matches scheduled for the tour. The four-day squad will be led by Delhi wicketkeeper-batsman Anuj Rawat while the ODI team will be captained by Uttar Pradesh wicketkeeper-batsman Aryan Juyal.
Here Are Some Interesting Facts About Arjun Tendulkar
- Unlike his father, who is a batting legend, Arjun is a left-arm fast bowler. He is also a useful lower middle-order batsman. He is reported to have impressed the junior team selectors during a recent camp in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh. His ability to swing the ball late is believed to have come in for praise from those who have seen him in action.
- Arjun Tendulkar has played for the Mumbai U-14, U-16, and U-19 teams. He came up with an impressive performance for the Mumbai U-19 team in the last Cooch Behar Trophy, picking up 18 wickets in five matches. This included two five-wicket, and one four-wicket haul.
- He has trained at the cricket academy at Lord’s and bowled to several members of the England team in the nets in the run up to the 2017 Lord’s Test against South Africa. He even created an injury scare for the England team by landing a yorker on Jonny Bairstow’s toe!
- He bowled to Indian batsmen in the nets when they played in Mumbai during the series against New Zealand last year.
- The young Tendulkar has represented several clubs in India and England. One such instance was when he played for the Cricket Club of India side against a Hong Kong-based team in Australia earlier this year. He scored a quick-fire 48 and picked up four wickets.
- India are the reigning world champions at this level of the game, having won a record fourth ICC U-19 World Cup title by defeating Australia on 3 February 2018. Several members of this team, including captain Prithvi Shaw, vice-captain Shubman Gill, and fast bowlers Shivam Mavi, later played for different franchises in the 2018 Indian Premier League (IPL).
- Arjun Tendulkar will, however, be over 20 years old by the time the next edition of the tournament is held in South Africa in 2020. This will mean that he will not be eligible to play at this level.
- Current India Test and ODI captain Virat Kohli had led the country to a title win in the 2008 ICC U-19 World Cup. Players who have been selected for the India senior team after playing at the U-19 level include Shikhar Dhawan, and Mohammed Kaif, who led the team in the 2004 U-19 title win.
- Father Sachin Tendulkar, incidentally, never played any age-level cricket for India! He made his debut for India against Pakistan in 1989 when he was just 16 years of age.
- Sachin Tendulkar was quoted by Mid-day as saying that he was happy about the selection and that it was an important milestone in his cricketing life. “Anjali and I will always support Arjun in his choices and pray for his success,” he said.