Sania Mirza, the Indian with the most tennis Grand Slam wins, turns 32 today! She was born on 15 November 1986 in Mumbai, and was bought up in the city of Hyderabad. Her father, Imran Mirza, was a sports journalist and her mother, Nasima Mirza, is associated with the printing industry. She received an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters from the MGR Educational and Research Institute University, Chennai in 2008. She has represented India at the Olympics thrice- Beijing (2008), London (2012) and Rio (2016).
10 Highlights From The Life And Career Of Sania Mirza
- She took up tennis when she was six years old. At the age of 12, Sania Mirza started training under her father, Imran Mirza. She won the coveted Wimbledon Junior Championship in 2003.
- After winning the Wimbledon title, Sania went on to become the first Indian woman to win a Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) title in 2004. WTA recognized Sania as the “Best Newcomer of the Year” in 2005.
- She was honoured with the Arjuna Award and Padma Shri in 2004 and 2006, respectively.
- Since 2003, she is the highest ranked Indian woman tennis player. Apart from this, Sania Mirza is also the first Indian woman tennis player to earn more than US $1 million in prize money.
- Sania tied the knot with Pakistani Cricketer Shoaib Malik on 12 April 2010. After getting married, the couple neither lives in India nor in Pakistan, but has shifted to Dubai, UAE.
- The couple was blessed with a baby boy on 30 October, this year. Sania gave birth to Izhaan Mirza-Malik in Hyderabad, India.
- According to data published by Google on the search patterns of people from across the world in the year 2012, Sania Mirza emerged as the most searched tennis star in the world.
- In 2015, she became the second tennis player after Leander Paes to be awarded the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
- The tennis player is the first Indian woman to win a Women’s Doubles Grand Slam. She has won 3 titles with the same partner, Martina Hingis.
- Sania Mirza is the first woman to be appointed as the UN Women Goodwill Ambassador for South Asia. She is also the brand ambassador for Telangana.