1. Which country won the first FIFA World Cup?
Uruguay won the first FIFA World Cup, held in 1930. Interestingly, it was also the host country for this first edition.
2. Who scored the winning goal for Germany against Argentina in the finals of World Cup 2014?
In what had been a goalless game upto that point, Mario Gotze managed to score the goal that clinched the German victory during extra time, at the 113th minute.
3. How many teams have won the World Cup since its inception in 1930?
The 8 teams are Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany Italy, Spain, England and Uruguay.
4. What was the slogan of the FIFA World Cup 2014?
Selected from 26 proposed slogans, “All in one rhythm” was picked for the 2014 World Cup, held in Brazil, to represent the vibrant and colourful culture of the country.
5. Who has the record for scoring the most goals in World Cup history?
German footballer Miroslav Klose scored a total of 16 goals in the FIFA World Cup across four consecutive tournaments, from 2002 to 2014.
6. Where is the FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) headquarters located?
The new complex for the FIFA headquarters was constructed in Zurich, Switzerland in 2006. Previous locations for the headquarters include Paris and Amsterdam.
7. Which of the following players scored a hat-trick of goals in the World Cup 2014?
Thomas Müller scored a hat-trick against Portugal in a group stage match in the 2014 World Cup.
8. What was Paul, a marine creature, which supposedly predicted the outcome of many matches in World Cup 2010?
Paul the Octopus was a German octopus who is believed to have made 12 correct predictions out of 14 regarding winners of matches in the FIFA World Cup 2010.
9. Brazil has won the World Cup the most number of times. How many World Cups do they have to their name?
With the most number of titles to their name, Brazil has won the World Cup in 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994 and 2002. Germany and Italy are tied at the second position, with 4 titles each.
10. Where is the FIFA World Cup 2022 scheduled to be held?
The FIFA World Cup 2022 is slated to be held in Qatar. This will be the first World Cup in an Asian country since 2002, when the tournament was held in South Korea and Japan.
11. Which country’s debut game as World Cup hosts featured the first indoor match in the tournament’s history?
The USA vs. Switzerland match held on 18 June 1994, at the Pontiac Silverdome in Michigan, was the first indoor match in World Cup history. Indoor matches were also held in Japan in 2002, and in Germany in 2006.
12. Which of these following countries made two World Cup finals on either side of the World War 2, but has not made the finals since 1986?
Hungary famously made the World Cup final in both 1938 and 1954, but last appeared at the World Cup final in Mexico 32 years ago.
13. One of the only 5 countries in Russia that has appeared at every World Cup since 1986 is South Korea. In which year did they make their debut?
South Korea made its first appearance at the FIFA World Cup 1954, in Switzerland. Scotland and Turkey also made their World Cup debuts the same year.
14. Pelé’s World Cup debut game in Gothenburg was also which other famous winger’s debut game?
Following their debut together, Pelé and Garrincha went on to lead the Brazilian team through a streak of unbeaten matches every single time they were in the team’s lineup together.
15. Which of these following teams have won a World Cup on debut?
Italy won the second FIFA World Cup in 1934, which not only marked their first appearance in the World Cup but also their first time hosting it in their country.